The 2019 EngineerGirl writing contest is open!
Winners in each grade category will receive the prizes listed below:
First-place winners will be awarded $500.
Second-place entries will be awarded $250.
Third-place entries will be awarded $100.
From engineergirl.org –
Write a story that celebrates engineering design and problem solving.
The EngineerGirl writing contest is, for the first time, asking students to submit works of creative fiction.
We want stories about women and girls saving the day with their wits, skill, and whatever resources they can find to solve the problem. Maybe they are working alone, maybe they are part of an elite team. Maybe they just find themselves in an unusual situation that requires some innovative thinking.
We want stories that inspire EngineerGirl readers to think, “I want to be able to do that” or “I can do that.”
To enter the contest:
Write an original, fictional story in which the main character is a female who uses engineering skills to solve a problem.
There are three basic rules:
- Your main character must be female.
- Your main character must use engineering design principles to solve a problem – she cannot use or rely on magic or supernatural powers.
- Your story must be under the word limit for your grade level, which is listed below.
Elementary (grades 3-5): 800 words.
Middle School (grades 6-8): 1100 words.
- All stories must be original work. Any evidence of plagiarism will immediately disqualify an entry.
- Be sure to read the full Rules & Requirements.
- Submit your essay via the Online Submission Form by February 1, 2019 at 11:59pm EST.